Saturday, June 6, 2015

Tanks and Hoses and Sidewinders, Oh My!

I take for granted washing dishes and using the toilet in my home.  I have never, in my 43 years, given much thought to where the waste goes or where I get my water.  I have enjoyed being a bit of a mindless consumer.  What I knew, for certain, was I paid a monthly bill to ensure this was not a subject taking precious space in my crowded brain.

All of a sudden I was learning about sewer hose kits, toilet treatments and holding tanks.

When I run shopping errands for Mike he often provides me with extensive descriptions and photos of what I need to purchase.  This, in the past, has meant dull trips to AutoZone and Home Depot.  So imagine my delight when he said he needed me to grab something at Walmart for the RV.  I love a good Walmart Supercenter for anything from strawberries to socks to shampoo but would I find a 15' Sidewinder?

I checked the camping aisle, no luck.  I asked a sales associate where I could find my desired item and she gave me a bit of a confused look.  The picture I accessed on my phone didn't clear up anything.  She asked her coworker and he pointed us toward the RV aisle.  Who knew there was an extensive RV aisle in the corner of my local store?  We cruised up and down the aisle (it was truly the blind leading the blind).  Finally, there it was.  It was as though a single ray of light shown down on the box and the angels rejoiced.

As I stood in the checkout line, with the 25 additional items I hadn't come in for but had to have, I was still a bit perplexed by this device.  It resembles an accordion with incrementally graduating plastic pieces, notched out for a sewer hose.  Apparently, the hose requires a gently sloping holder and path to exit the RV which prevents a build up of waste.  Nothing worse than a build up of waste, I always say!

It was finally time to try out our little gadget.  It seemed to be working, if it weren't I'm not sure I'd do much investigation to find out otherwise.  The most exciting moment for this novice was seeing all our RV neighbors using the same system.  Maybe I could be a part of this camping culture after all.

Taking care of our sewer hose needs is all fine and dandy but my next purchase, and highest priority, is a string of fun party lights for our awning!

Happy travels ~ Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment