Thursday, June 18, 2015

Road Tripping with Kids

Lists and strategically placed piles are my best friends when it comes to packing and preparing for a road trip.  I have a 'method to the madness' mentality prior to a big trip.  No one else in the family quite knows what's going on with my system but I'm okay with that.  I know where everything is and, although the piles litter my house, it works for me.

There was a time in my life when I could get ready for a trip in twenty minutes, that is no longer the case.  These days I'm concerned with activities to entertain kids, snacks, sippy cups, dvd players and headphones.  I will say the last being the most important.  Get a good movie in the player and you'll have complete silence for at least an hour.  This is a treat when the alternative is the question as old as time, "when will we be there?".

Since our RV is a travel trailer we are still at the mercy of traveling in our truck.  Despite Mike's frustration, I load up the back seat practically to the ceiling.  By the time we arrive it's cluttered with crayons, stuffed animals, books and goldfish crackers.  I say...if it keeps them content and quiet, it's well worth the filth they create.

As I've mentioned, I love the Dollar Tree, it's one of my favorites.  I like to go there before a big trip. They have all kinds of activity books, snacks and treats for kids.  I pick up a bag for each girl so they can keep track of their own stuff and try to keep things contained.  All of the items for both bags totaled only $18.  This is my effort to keep the back seat clean ~ it's a futile effort!  Regardless, the girls are always excited to see the surprises awaiting them in their bags.  




Another thing I have grown to love is our local library.  I am not a huge reader and was never one to enjoy being in a library (you can ask my parents) but now I see all the amazing services our library provides, especially for kids.  If you haven't checked yours out lately I would highly recommend it.  We make a trip to the library to stock up on books and videos for the kids before we hit the road.  We had a particularly fruitful trip today, coming away with 9 books and 12 videos.  That should keep them busy for a while.  Free, easy and a great selection!



Next step, organizing clothes and groceries.  Let the piles begin!

Happy travels ~ Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment