Sunday, June 7, 2015

Outfitting Our RV

In high school, my parents would give me an allowance for back-to-school clothes shopping.  I started realizing I could purchase a lot more of what I wanted when I used the money more wisely.  Simple enough.  This lesson, paired with my innate thrifty nature (thanks to my Dutch heritage), created the perfect frugal storm. I've evolved into a girl who loves to get a great deal and share a great deal.     

Now that I work in the home and my husband supports our family financially, my frugal ways have led to thrift stores, garage sales and coupons.  I love to contribute to our family by sniffing out these deals.  

As we were shopping for an RV, we would peruse the aisles of camping accessories.  We could easily spend a load of cash to outfit the inside of our house on wheels.  I began to think of alternative options to all these pricey items.  I got my initial list together and made a game plan.  Outfitting a camper on a budget is in direct correlation to where you choose to shop.  Flexibility and thinking outside the box is the name of the game.  

I started at the thrift stores.  These are always hit or miss but you can find some really great items.  My trip yielded, among other things, a Cuisinart coffee pot and an IHome clock complete with IPod/IPhone docking and charging station (score!).  Although a gamble, both work beautifully and cost only $5 each.

  Goodwill - pots, coffee mugs, baskets, a folding chair, plates

  Salvation Army - serving bowls, trash cans, coffee pot, clock

The dollar stores were next.  Dollar General has quite a large selection of household goods and, if you happen to be stocking the shelves, a lot of canned and boxed goods.  There is a range of prices but everything is still very inexpensive.  Dollar Tree literally has all their items for a dollar.  Who wouldn't love that?  This time of year they have a lot of heavy plastic cups, plates and serving bowls (great for picnics and camping).

  Dollar General - rugs, cleaning supplies, flatware, sheets, laundry bag 

  Dollar Tree - cups, bowls, kitchen utensils, cutlery tray, paper towels, napkin holder

I ended up at Walmart for my remaining items.  As I've mentioned, this is my go-to store when I just need convenience at a good price.

  Walmart - broom, drying rack, hanging closet organizers, towels 

Last but not least, I shopped in our own house.  I was already in the market for some new non-stick frying pans and this was the perfect time for the old ones to make their way to the camper.  Win-win!  Shiny, new pans for the house and another check off my RV list.

In my quest to completely outfit our camper, I have already found the following to be true: melamine dishes are a beautiful thing, a catch-all basket by the door is absolutely essential and a quality broom pays for itself in the first trip!  

Happy travels ~ Sara   

No comments:

Post a Comment